Rhetoric CFPs & TOCs

Rhetoric CFPs & TOCs
Photo: Kristoffer Trolle (creative commons)

Sunday, June 5, 2016

Gesture, The Body, and Race

Reading "N+1" on race, the police, and the body.
DOREEN: I experience a surfeit of body creativity, of doing whatever I want with my body, if I’m surrounded by white girls. When I mean safety, I also mean freedom of expression. It’s not just about not being seen as dangerous—it’s about being seen as a happy person, someone who can be approached, and someone who can be quirky. Quirk is the fullest reckless freedom white people traffic in ...
.
DOREEN: Quirkiness is white bodie
s expressing the immense space the state and culture carves out for them to be free and safe.... it’s about making new movements, tics, and they can be affectations, that are peculiar but never seen as threatening.
.
DOREEN: Black people are often forced to keep making old movements, in our bodies, speech, the way we live, because the space for whiteness to see us as safe if we’re unpredictable barely exists. 
...
David again: Never have I read something that makes me aspire (I think my dress is quirky, but my body communicates something less than this, and I want to think harder about my presence)... as well as feel complicit in something deeply unfair.  Surely this has implications for gesture and rhetoric.
Full article here:  https://nplusonemag.com/online-only/online-only/hands-up/

No comments:

Post a Comment