Rhetoric CFPs & TOCs

Rhetoric CFPs & TOCs
Photo: Kristoffer Trolle (creative commons)

Monday, October 3, 2016

The Silent Professor

From https://tomprof.stanford.edu/

...I teach English, and midway through the spring 2013 semester, I lost my voice. Rather than cancelling my classes, I taught all my courses, from developmental English to Shakespeare, without saying a word. Though my voice had mostly returned by Tuesday evening, what I was observing compelled me to remain silent for the remainder of the week. My experience teaching without talking proved so beneficial to my students, so personally and professionally centering, and so impactful in terms of the intentionality of my classroom behavior that I now “lose my voice” at least once every semester.
A wealth of literature focuses on active learning and learner-centered instruction, but I submit that nothing empowers learners as immediately and profoundly as does removing the professor’s voice from the room. Here is my approach, a few practical suggestions, and some of the benefits I have found in teaching without talking.
Teaching without talking
First, you must decide whether you will tell the class that you cannot speak or that you will notspeak. There are pedagogical advantages to each, but I find that students take ownership of their learning more quickly and convincingly when they think they are helping me out. If you choose to frame the class as one in which you cannot speak, you must be fully committed to remaining silent outside the classroom as well. If students see you talking to a colleague in the hall, you will lose your credibility and their trust. I print a short statement that explains that I have lost my voice, carry it in my pocket, and show it to anyone who speaks to me on campus throughout the day. Be prepared to hold silent office hours, which can be an illuminating exercise in and of itself...

No comments:

Post a Comment